Friday, December 27, 2013

Developing Style

And now for something completely different.  I noticed that when I'm inebriated, I have a tremendous urge to draw very stylized, even "anime-ish".



While the first image isn't really anime, it was an attempt to draw/paint in a stylized manner.

I know what some of you are thinking.  Anime is a "lesser art", styles are a crutch, and developing a style comes with time.  I understand these things, and even lecture them to burgeoning artists, yet I still crave style myself.

Here's some recent fan art I did of Frankie from Broken Skies, which was also an experiment of style.


I don't know why I'm trying so hard to force a style, because as I look through my sketches, I realized that I already have one.

When I draw from photos or life, this style often emerges.


And when I draw from my head, this style surfaces.



Both styles of which I am totally okay with!  So I guess that ends that.

Every so often, I'll continue to experiment, but I'm still very happy with the styles I've developed.  If anything, I have to start drawing more men, and more people of different races.  Those actually sound like good 2014 resolutions.

Here's one final drawing, which I thoroughly enjoyed doing.  Instead of stressing a specific style, I just drew.  And I tried to incorporate the painting techniques that I learned from my Bierstadt landscape studies.


Creating art has been extremely stressful for me lately.  But the more I do it, the more pleased I am with myself.  So I guess the trick is that I gotta keep doing it.

Anyways, my sickness is finally gone.  You can expect more updates to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment